Monday, August 28, 2017

I'm Coming Home


2 weeks ago, I, along with my husband and son went back to the place I call home, MICHIGAN. If you've never been or have no clue where Michigan is on the map, it's at the very top of the map. It is considered the Midwest and is shaped like a mitten. You can literally see Canada from Michigan's [figurative] backyard hailing Detroit as it's most popular major city. 

It had been an entire year since I had last been back home. The last time I had been in Michigan was for a family reunion. During that trip [last year] is when I discovered I was infanticipating with Grayson (what a difference a year makes). During my time at home I had a jam - packed itinerary, from hanging with my grandparents (Grayson's GiGi & Pop - Pop), stopping by my favorite old school ice cream parlor (Washtenaw Dairy), celebrating my father for his 25 years of service as a pastor, to having Grayson blessed then having a garden themed "sip & see." To say this trip was jammed pack from seam to seam is an understatement. But it was one of the most fulfilling trips I've had in a while, because I was able to soak up time with my family and friends, especially visiting with my Aunt Phyllis (who was my dad's twin sister), because she passed away one week after we returned to Georgia. 

One of the many highlights of the trip was going to explore the new and improved downtown Detroit. Since the last time I went to visit Detroit A LOT has changed. Downtown was absolutely stunning. From Coney Islands to awesome shops I was very impressed at Detroit's transformation. One of the places where we stopped was a cute, on - trend, boutique called "Detroit Is The New Black" aka DITNB. I loved the store because it had such a cool - kids vibe. There was awesome merchandise as well as an art gallery. Plus they screen print the shirts right in the store, which I thought was amazing. To put the icing on the cake the store is owned by one of my husband's preschool classmates from Seattle, WA (what are the freaking odds) and it is located on prime time real estate, near Comerica Park



While at DITNB I purchased this dope tee. I love that it's in my favorite color combination and the fact that it has such a cool statement, which can also double as a great conversation starter piece. I paired the basic DITNB scoop neck t-shirt underneath my sheer peplum shaped tee shirt, along with my distressed jeans, a pair of sandals and a pair of cute clear - framed sexy specs. 








Outfit Details: DITNB Woodward Tee (here), Sheer Peplum (H&M), Distressed Jeans (Gap: old), Sandals (Forever 21:old), Clear Sexy Specs (Love Culture), The Lip Bar Liquid Matte Lippie in Prima Donna (here), Fitbit Blaze with Navy Strap (Amazon)


It's been a while since I last blogged, please forgive me for the long sabbatical. It was a  much needed break so I could just bond with my munchkin and settle into my new role as a mommy to a growing baby (who is almost 6 months).  But now I have new found wind and perspective to keep pushing through and taking Ali's Fashion Sense to the next level (which may involve a new domain and name change...stay tuned). 

All in all my trip home was a success. It was nice to visit some local shops (i.e. DITNBThe Lip Bar, Nike Town Detroit, The Detroit RiverWalk and many more). The sentiment does ring true: "There is no place like home!" Where do you call home? How often do you get to visit? What are some cool things to do in your area? Leave your responses in the comment section below. 

Until next time luvs,
-Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment