Friday, March 3, 2017

My Rainbow Baby Shower


Genesis 9:13: "I have set my rainbow in the clouds and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth."

Last Saturday, February 25 I had my baby shower. It was such a nice event especially since I was robbed of having that experience with my first born DJ. I knew early on that I wanted to have a Rainbow Shower as the theme of my baby shower. I chose the rainbow theme because it allowed me to celebrate the awaited arrival of my new bundle of joy, Grayson, while paying respect and honoring my first born son I tragically lost, DJ! A rainbow shower represents the yin and the yang of life. No matter what, life will always provide you ups and downs. It will throw at you highs and lows. But how you react to those situations truly garner your peace of mind. I've learned through my tragic storm of losing DJ that no matter how bad it gets, God is ALWAYS there with you. He promised never to leave us nor forsake us. I am a living testament of what it looks like when God is walking right besides you even in the midst of the eye of the storm. He is why I can have a genuine smile on my face even with a loss looming over me!

Planning my shower was fun. I gathered my inspiration from an Instagram page that I ran across called Oh Happy Day, where they put on a rainbow shower. I loved the concept, the bright colors, and the lightness and the ambience that the amazing decorations created. I knew I wanted something similar, so I showed my handy dandy, right hand man, Ashley my vision and we collaborated to bring everything to life, adding our own touches to make it more personal. I knew I wanted a brunch theme for the menu, a "virgin" mimosa bar, a Polaroid picture frame to take pictures with guests, building blocks that spelled my sons name, and bright colors used to lift the event space to even higher heights. I got all of that and then some! The shower was absolutely, positively beautiful!!! I even had guests come in solid colors like the rainbow ROYGBIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet), while I donned all white with rainbow accessories to stay on par with the theme of the shower and show solidarity for what the rainbow truly represents. EVERYTHING turned out magnificent.

Rainbow necklace custom - made by my event planner AshleyMonique

Sandals laid out with Pom-Poms before my DIY project began

The finished product
DIY Details: Sandals: Rue 21, Bag of Assorted Pom Poms: Amazon, Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks: Hobby Lobby
Pre-shower selfie after getting a subtle beat by M.A.C

"Follow the Rainbow" signs to direct guests to the venue

The "virgin" mimosa bar

Grayson's Goodie Bar aka the ROYGBIV candy station

Rainbow Candy Bags for Grayson's Goodie Bar

Grayson and I showing off next to his building blocks

I absolutely loved these blocks, so much so they are going into his nursery as part of the decor

Mommy - To - Be all smiles under the rainbow

Posing with my DIY Polaroid Picture Frame

Alishia & Derrek sitting in the tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G; First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Grayson in the baby carriage
My event planner and fashion twin, AshleyMonique

Grayson's Grandma Valarie

Grayson's Grandma Kim

At the head table with my main squeeze

About to do the balloon release for DJ 

An assortment of balloons about to be delivered to my sleeping angel in heaven

The party was an absolute success. We ate, fellowshipped, played games, opened gifts, and took plenty of pictures. When all the commotion died down, my husband and I along with a few of our family members and friends went outside and used all the balloons that were decorations at the party, so we could release them up to my sleeping angel in heaven, DJ! This little gesture (along with having a designated table where guests could write their well wishes to DJ as a big brother, Grayson and us as parents) really warmed my heart. It showed that even though DJ is not here physically, we could still honor his presence in our lives while awaiting our second bundle of joy with great anticipation.  

A "Rainbow Baby" is the understanding that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm. When a rainbow appears it doesn't mean the storm never happened or that the family is not still dealing with its aftermath. What it means is that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope. 
 - Anonymous Author 

Thanks for taking a sneak peak into my awesome rainbow shower! What's waiting for you at the end of YOUR rainbow? Is it love? Is it money? Is it new found self confidence? Don't be afraid to go after it starting today! It's waiting for you if you just take action. 

TGIF Luvs,
-Ali

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiments. DJ and Grayson are blessed with wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful sis, i love your outlook on this whole wonderful shift in your journey, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl I'm sitting at my desk CRYING!!!! This post is BRAUTIFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alishia this is Jennifer, your classmate from middle school and high school. Congratulations on your new blessing. I enjoyed your post and pictures! You're so strong! Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tears of joy that I share!!! Your fashion twin did her thang as usual!!! Just loved everything about Grayson's shower! Always thinking of DJ & praying for you all!!! Much love & support always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a beautiful celebration of life in all its forms. You go you proud mama (and papa) you! 😊

    ReplyDelete