Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Neutral Dreams



Every time I pass a cotton field (like the one behind me in these photos) it gives me cause to pause, to reflect on the rich lineage and heritage I am a descendent of. The vast fields of white, sprouting from the ground acts as a reminder of the daily struggles of my great - grandfather (my grandmother’s father on my mom’s side) and ALL he had to endure in the late 1800s, as a Sharecropper in the deep south of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It reminds me of the sacrifices my ancestors made for me, a little brown girl,  so I can pursue the things I love today. Because of their tenacity I am able to go after my passions, my gifts, and  my purpose. I follow in the footsteps of strong - willed, intelligent, hard - working individuals like my great - grandfather, my grandmother (who is an HBCU college graduate - Alabama A&M University in the 50s - and the first African American food service administrator at the University of Michigan dormitory),and countless unsung heroes who risked their very own lives to allow me the freedoms I have today. 



Because of their relentless pursuit for a better life, I am able to stand before you (or sit in front of a computer screen as you read) and blog about things I love like fashion, family, faith and more. I am able to live out things they could not even fathom back in a segregated southern landscape. So this blog post is dedicated to all my amazing ancestors who have come before me. This is for the Bishop's, Henderson's, Reveire's, and Ferrell's! This is for creating a legacy that I could build a foundation upon. A young, black, woman from humble beginnings of Ypsilanti, MI embarking on a dream of spreading joy, positivity, self - love, empathy, and encouragement to all who will listen by offering fashion tips and life hacks as a wife, stillbirth survivor, rainbow mommy and more. 




So in those moments where I feel like giving up, or I feel too overwhelmed to do anything, I think back at all those who have come before me, who had no choice but to go HARD! I’m standing on the shoulders of giants and I will pay homage to them by stopping excuses that run across my mind, by succeeding, by taking my dreams to a whole other level, and using my platform of success to pull others up with me.




PINK SWEATSHIRT DRESS// via H&M (here) - FUZZY VEST// via Forever 21: old (similar)  - DENIM// via Charlotte Russe (similar) - EARRINGS// via H&M (same earrings different color) - TAUPE BOOTIES//via Forever 21 (very similar) - PINK FUR CROSSBODY BAG//via Charlotte Russe (here) - PINK SUNNIES//via Charlotte Russe (similar)

So here's to being our ancestor's wildest dreams! Living our BEST lives with purpose, passion, and hard - work! Happy hump day luvs! 

Xoxo,
-Ali

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tribute. Too often we take the blessings that we enjoy for granted. Our Father paid the ultimate price for us-and our forefathers continued the legacy.

    ReplyDelete