Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Work Vs. Werk


As I mentioned on Monday's post, this week is all about remixing items you already own to refresh and expand your wardrobe. Today's post we will focus on a suit. While suits are meant to be worn together...it is in the separating of the pieces where I find the most wiggle - room for creativity.

THE BASIC
Today's focus item is a plaid suit. Plaid is super on trend for the Fall/Winter season, but plaid is also a classic print that it will never go out of style! I purchased this particular suit from Target's new private label, "New Day." Sidebar: Target has some really dope new in- house private labels for women, men, and children's apparel. They even have a new home goods private label as well. One more way to get my coins, as if we don't already spend our hard - earned money in Target  *inserts emoji with hand covering forehead!* I love this suit because it was made with quality in mind and the silhouette is fresh and new (oversized top, slim bottom...I can dig it). This suit is composed of a Boyfriend blazer + a pair of Slim Fit Ankle Trousers.



WOMEN'S PLAID BOYFRIEND BLAZER// via Target - 
SLIM FIT STRAIGHT LEG PLAID ANKLE PANT// via Target


WORK


When I envision the traditional word "work" it makes me think of cubicles, briefcases, and dark boring [skirt] suits. Not every job requires you to put on your most snatched threads to make deals and call shots. But if it does, I would highly recommend adding this suit to your wardrobe arsenal. I like this suit because it allows me to look polished when I wear both pieces in an instant. But the thing I love most about the suit is my ability to wear the separates separately to create different moods and outfits to help expand my wardrobe. You can dress this suit up or down, depending on where you are going. You could pair it with flats, sneakers, heels, boots etc. (and that's just the various shoe options you have...let's not even mention the numerous top combinations you could come up with like how I "werked" it below)!








PLAID JACKET// via Target - PLAID TROUSERS// via Target - MAROON PUSSY BOW BLOUSE// via Forever 21: old (similar here) - SANDALS// via Target - BROACH// via Hobby Lobby - CLEAR FRAMES// via Windsor (similar here)

WERK




Many times after work we have engagements set up where we don't have much time to transition from work to play. We have to slay in seconds. That is why creating a suit of separates is genius and a fool - proof way to have snazzy outfits on deck. I took the same suit from above but I ditched the trousers, sandals, and blouse, and swapped them for a leather crop top, black midi skirt, and some lace - up booties, while keeping the blazer on to anchor the outfit and create a more "edgy" look and feel. With just a few key swaps you can take your blazer from boardroom to... baddie!











PLAID BLAZER: // via Target - LEATHER CROP TOP// via Forever 21 (similar top here) - MIDI SKIRT// via H&M (similar here) - LACE - UP BOOTIES// via Charlotte Russe: old (similar) - CHOKER// via Charlotte Russe (similar here)

I hope these two posts to date are beginning to help you see that fashion doesn't have to be super complicated! All you need are a few key staples to help do the heavy - lifting for your wardrobe, then you can mix and match items to make your pieces seem fresh, new, and of course stylish!! We have one more installment of this series. I will be showing you how to rock distressed jeans two different ways! So stay tuned. Until then...

Happy Hump Day luvs, 

-Ali





No comments:

Post a Comment