Monday, November 6, 2017

Dear Gray


Grayson you just turned 8 months as of Saturday, November 4, 2017! Not only did October fly by, but so did these past eight months. Where did the time go? It seems I ask myself this question every time I do a monthly reflection on your evolving life! 

Ever so often I go back and look at your newborn photos and I'm amazed at how you've changed so drastically physically, mentally, and through your ever changing personality. Your face has grown fuller, your melanin has gradually grown darker and richer, your body has grown longer and your personality has ballooned into an awesome little human being. 

Over the past month you've experienced some firsts:


  • Your first FAMU (Florida A&M University) Homecoming (the first of many I'm sure) as a Baby Rattler. 
  • Your First Halloween
  • Your first trip to Tallahassee, FL

FAMU Homecoming
I love to introduce you to new places and new experiences (something I want to continuously do as you steadily grow). As mentioned above you had your first trip to Tallahassee, FL where mommy spent 5 years of her life as a Rattler at Florida A&M University on the highest of 7 hills. I loved taking you around campus, having you meet mommy's LC friends/sisters (your TT's), and introducing you to your Tallahassee extended family (Horace and Brenda - they absolutely adored you). It was an incredible trip. I hope we can go often so you grow up in the HBCU culture (there is absolutely nothing else like it on Earth)!




Story Time At the Library
Every Wednesday, we go to the library for story time. I think you really enjoy it because no matter how sleepy you are, as soon as we get into our group session and the librarians begin to sing, dance, and read stories you are VERY alert and attentive. You love to observe, dance, play with maracas, sing, interact with other babies, and see the bubbles. It's an awesome outing for you and mommy to bond and also meet different people/babies from all walks of life. Never abandon your curiosity and love for learning, reading, and developing! 



Halloween
This was your first Halloween. Daddy and I decided we wouldn't take you trick or treating because you are so young and you can't eat the candy anyways (plus we didn't need all that candy in our house...it's just junk for our bodies anyway). Mommy did dress you up as a Ninja Turtle (Leonardo - the blue ninja turtle) for the Halloween "Character - Themed Story Time" at the library (which actually occurred one week before Halloween). I also dressed you in a cute Halloween themed outfit for October 31 (in your "Trick or Treat" onesie). I can't wait to think of your costume for next year. I think I have it already in my head...but things could change.












Visitors
This month your God-mommy Jasmine came to visit you! She is a flight attendant (a person who assists the pilots and passengers on their flights to destinations all over the world) so she works quite a bit, flying the friendly skies. But, as soon as she got a tiny break in her schedule she wanted to come and visit you...so she did. She truly enjoyed your company and I believe you enjoyed hers too! 




You also visited with Grandma, Aunt Sherri, Cousin Horace and Brenda, two of your LC TT's Kita and Shari (aka roommate - whom I think you had a little crush on...you were giving her the ga-ga eyes) while we were out in Tallahassee, FL.




Noises
You currently have a new sound that you make, and it's pretty cute. You currently make this sound reminiscent of a tiny monster. It sounds something like R-A-W-R! You do it quite often these days. I think you learned it just in time for Halloween so you could scare off other babies lol. It's the cutest thing ever. It reminds me of  the scene in Lion King where Simba first tried to roar (Sidebar: remind me to show you the Lion King when you get old enough...it's a Disney classic and one of mommy's favorite childhood movies)! 

Teething Progress
You still don't have any teeth as of this post, but you LOVE to chomp on just about anything. You name it and you've probably had it to your mouth at any given time. Your latest things to chew on are: remote controls, my iPhone, your foot, your fingers, teething rings, your shoes, and your favorite your pacifiers. I can't wait to see your first pearly whites break through...we're waiting patiently for their arrival. 

Developmental Skills
At the moment you can sit up really well by yourself. You love to roll over when I place you on your tummy for tummy time. You have ZERO interest in beginning to crawl at the moment but I will keep encouraging you to try and allowing you time to practice. Sidenote: No matter how many times in life you fail, NEVER give up. Always try again. In the words of the late singer Aaliyah, "If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again!" These are great words to live by. You can say "da-da" more clearly now, and the cutest thing of all is when you wave "hi!" You melt people's hearts...especially mommy's when you show off your little wave. You are also expanding your personality everyday. I'm so glad I get to have a front row seat seeing you grow into your BEST self! 




Favorite Books
Anything right now by the author Lucy Cousins 

Snapchat & Other Technology
You love to play with mommy in different Snapchat filters. Currently the rabbit with the backwards baseball cap and bunny ears is my favorite filter for you and me!!! You also love phones (probably since we Facetime grandma daily), computers, and watching Sesame Street *cues Elmo's got the moves and the Elmo slide,*




All in all things are going well for you as you embark on month 8! I'm so proud of where you've come just in these short eight months and I can't wait to see you progress even more in the month ahead. Buckle up your seat belt for a crazy ride this November as we embark upon your first Thanksgiving and a slew of  other firsts. Your first time to meet Grandma Edna (daddy's grandma, your great grandmother). Your first Bayou Classic (which is Southern University - daddy's Alma mater vs. Grambling State University - Uncle Derryn's Alma mater). As well as your first visit (at our home) from your cousin Abel (this weekend)! It should be a grand time :)


via GIPHY

Love you with all my heart! We'll see you at 9 - Months!
-Mommy (and Daddy)

No comments:

Post a Comment