Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Killer Confidence

I recall speaking with a co-worker about the biggest fashion accessory you can posses. That accessory being CONFIDENCE. I say this, because, often times people buy clothes because they think they are "in" or the clothes will make them look"cool."  But the unfortunate thing is, usually those people that think this way don't have the swag (for lack of better terms) to pull off the trend they are trying to rock.

I remember hearing many times as I was growing up..."what are you wearing?"  Or one of my other favs..."why are you wearing that like that?" I was always different when it came to dressing. I pulled trends and styles for the various places I traveled to create a style all my own. At times people could not understand, why I would pair this set of jeans with that shirt, or this dress with that color jacket etc. But, it didn't bother me. I continued to march to the drum of my own fashion beat.

It is always so perplexing to me why people are content with fitting in with the status quo. I've always dared to be different. I've always displayed a strand of confidence to make me feel good in WHATEVER I wear, whether it be a potato sack or an evening gown.  So ladies and gents, the best advice I can give you in whatever you do, do it with an air of confidence (NOT to be misconstued with arrogance, big difference).

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel

I found a couple of clips from June Ambrose's new show on VH1 - Styled by June where she takes Miami - based rapper Trina out of her comfort zone with her normal attire of short, tight, bootylicious garments into a chic, glamorous edgy rapper. At first Trina wasn't having it. She did not feel comfortable in the clothing options June picked out, but once she found her confidence she shined like a light! Watch the transformation unfold.




No comments:

Post a Comment