Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pause For the Cause: KONY 2012


I know Fashion Sense is a blog dedicated to my love for fashion and all things that encompass it. But another passion of mine is helping children & youth!!! I never had the patience to become a teacher like my mom, but I've always admired my mother, and the countless educators around the world for their commitment to make a difference in the lives of children on a daily basis. My mothers devotion for helping kids must have rubbed off on me, because I've always, in some capacity or another been connected to helping children whether it was tutoring math, teaching literacy at a summer school, volunteering at a engineering camp, or just offering my advice to the members of the upcoming generation. That's why I had to blog about this POWERFUL information I received.

I was sent an email today, that has literally had my mind racing this afternoon on how I could get involved (and get the people in my network involved...hence my first plan of action, WRITING THIS BLOG POST). If we can pull this mission off, we can be the true CHANGE that we always hear talk about, and hear about from the people surrounding us.

The backdrop of this story is about a film maker who in his young adulthood traveled to Uganda, Africa (10 years ago) and met a child rebel solider who escaped from the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) Group, by the name of Jacob. Jacob enlightened this young filmmaker about the harsh realities of this dangerous group, and about it's ruthless leader, Joseph Kony. This is where the video comes into play. I don't want to feed you half of the information, since I too am just learning about this horrific plight today. I just want you to take some time (the video is 30 minutes, but please watch it in its entirety) to watch the video below. I hope that the message in this video stirs up something within to make you spring into action.

Although, I love shopping, and clothes, and talking about the latest hand bags and shoes, nothing is more precious than the human life. AND no matter what part of the earth you are from, what race, what color, what creed, what social status you are on, everyone deserves the right to freedom, a good education, and the opportunity to chase after and accomplish the dreams they never thought could take place. So I urge you to be the CHANGE you want to see. Let's not just TALK about it, but lets BE about it!
After watching this video if you are moved to do something check out kony2012.com for more information

1 Love,

-Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment