Monday, October 29, 2012

Look For Less

I've been looking high and low for this Zara Safari jacket with leather sleeves for months now.



This jacket was actually introduced last fall but it has reemerged on the scene again. It's such a hot commodity that its sold out on Zara's website. So I had to do the next best thing... I recreated the look for a lot less.

One day while I was browsing through my closet a light bulb went off in my head! I had an old leather jacket that I didn't get much use out of (from Forever 21) and an olive green jacket (which I can't remember for the life of me where I bought it). Since I can't sew (sidebar: I do want to learn in the very near future) I did the next best thing. Found a picture on the Internet of the jacket I wanted and took the two jackets to a local tailor. 






I asked the owner could they swap the sleeves of the leather jacket to the olive colored jacket. The owner said he's never done anything like it but he would sure give it a try. He mentioned that if I ever become famous as a stylist or designer (prophetic word wouldn't you agree :) ) that I keep their tailoring business in mind. Boy am I happy I took the risk! I absolutely am in love with the jacket. 


My jacket looks very similar to the original Zara jacket. Minus the fact that my jacket is a tad but longer in length, it has a hood, and the price to swap sleeves was significantly lower ($30) than buying the original which had a hefty price tag of $199.99.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome. So much so that I rocked the jacket along with my fur stole from H&M, black leggings, booties, and snakeskin clutch from the "red boutique" aka Target to my farewell dinner on Friday! 









I can foresee this jackets future and I predict it will be in heavy rotation this fall before it transitions into winter. Word to the wise: if you can't find the look you want in stores or online you or a skilled tailor/seamstress can recreate the look and you may be able to do it for less! It's worth the try!

No comments:

Post a Comment