Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better: Forever 21 Inspiration Lookbook

So I was doing my usual weekend virtual window shopping when I ran across a title on Forever 21's website that read "The Style Closet!" This piqued my interest so I clicked on the link. And to my amazement they created a play by play lookbook using a few essential pieces, creating four different looks. I'm always down for gaining inspiration and I wanted to put myself to the challenge by trying to recreate all four looks with staples I had in my closet.

"Ali's Fashion Sense Service Announcement": If you have not tried this exercise yet...DO IT! Take a magazine or go to a fashion website/blog and look at inspiring photos of outfits you would like to try. Then see how many outfits you can recreate WITHOUT going out and buying anything. If you are missing staple pieces you can slowly add them to your closet without breaking the bank. This is another way to help stretch your wardrobe so that you have an infinite amount of options. For an added bonus take a picture of yourself in your favorite outfits and create your own personal lookbooks to draw from if you get stuck in an outfit rut. What's that you ask? An outfit rut is when you continue to wear the same outfits over and over again!

Here are my results from recreating the Forever 21 looks. Some were better than others as far as what I would actually wear. But it was fun playing dress up and putting my fashion creativity to the test. How do you think I did?

ESSENTIALS
Forever 21 created "The Style Closet: 4 Closet Staples to Wear Multiple Ways!"
Here are the 4 staple pieces they used to create the outfits.

  • Faux Leather Moto Jacket
  • Striped Knit Shirt
  • The Skater Skirt (with leather detailing at the top)
  • Chiffon Maxi





***THE LOOKBOOK***

LOOK 1 - BLACK & WHITE 
To create the first look, they paired the faux leather moto jacket, with the striped knit shirt, denim skinny jeans, and black faux leather moto booties. They accessorized the look with a pair of  square - shaped reader glasses. After seeing this look 1, I knew I had the perfect pieces (in my closet)  to reassemble the look with an Ali twist! 



My look:
Leather Jacket: H&M
Striped Shirt: Forever 21
Denim Jeans: Levi Outlet
Peep - Toe Booties: Unknown
Glasses: Forever 21
Feather Earrings: Arden B.





Here are the pieces that Forever 21 used to create Look 1:
*All items can be found on Forever 21's website*
The Faux Leather Moto: $49.80
Stretchy Skinny Jeans: $10.80
Striped Knit (Comes in a variety of colors): $9.80
Faux Leather Moto Booties: $34.80
Square - Shaped Readers (Glasses): $5.80





LOOK 2 - MAX(I)ED OUT
Forever 21 took a turquoise chiffon maxi dress and and reused the same faux leather moto jacket from Look 1 to create the second look. They topped off the look with a pair western - inspired high heel booties, and a lacquered arrowhead charm necklace. I didn't have the same colored dress, but remember the looks are there for inspiration not to be a carbon copy. I used a red dress that I bought at Forever 21 and the same moto jacket from the first look. I accessorized with multi - colored beaded doorknocker earrings, and the same peep - toe booties from the first look!


My Look:
Red One Shoulder Maxi Dress: Forever 21
Leather Moto Jacket: H&M
Peep - Toe Booties: Unknown
Doorknocker Earrings: Online Boutique







Here are the pieces that Forever 21 used to create Look 2:
*All items can be found on Forever 21's website*
Chiffon Maxi: $15.80
Faux Leather Moto Jacket: $49.80
Western - Inspired High Heel Booties: $39.80
Lacquered Arrowhead Charm Necklace: $6.80





LOOK 3 - SPORTY CHIC
Look 3 reused the striped knit shirt and faux leather moto jacket for the foundation of the look. They traded in the skinny jeans (used in Look 1) and swapped it for the skater skirt (with the faux leather detailing) and a pair of black and white high tops. I used the same top from Look 1, added my faux leather skirt from H&M, and topped it off with my fav sneaker wedges from the "Red Dot Boutique."


My look:
Striped Shirt: Forever 21
Faux Leather Skirt: H&M
Sneaker Wedges: Target
Leather Moto Jacket: H&M
Michael Kors Watch: Macy's
Bangle Set: Gift







Here are the pieces that Forever 21 used to create Look 3:
*All items can be found on Forever 21's website*
The Faux Leather Moto: $49.80
Studded High Tops: $24.80
Striped Knit (Comes in a variety of colors): $9.80
Coated Waist Skater Skirt: $15.80
Studded Rubber Bracelet Set: $4.80






LOOK 4 - RAMP IT UP
The last look (Look 4) is my favorite look of all! There is nothing I like better than throwing on a pair of heels and hitting the town. Forever 21 took the skater skirt from Look 3, ditched the striped knit shirt and exchanged it for a semi - sheer chiffon shirt (in lime). They also swapped the high tops for a pair of sexy studded gladiator sandals, the lacquered arrowhead charm (used from Look 2), and a studded tassel clutch to switch Look 3 from day to night! My items are not exactly the same. Clearly there are some minor differences (the shirt colors, the shoes, etc). However, I want to remind you, I was using the Forever 21 looks as a guideline not something etched in stone. Here is what I came up with.


My look:
Coral Chiffon Blouse: Charlotte Russe
Faux Leather Skirt: H&M
Multi - Sparkle Peep - Toe Platforms: Steve Madden
Michael Kors Watch: Macy's
Bangle Set: Gift





Here are the pieces that Forever 21 used to create Look 4:
*All items can be found on Forever 21's website*
Semi - Sheer Chiffon Shirt: $19.80
Studded Gladiator Sandals: $39.80
Lacquered Arrowhead Charm Necklace: $6.80 
Studded Tassel Clutch: $19.80
Coated Waist Skater Skirt: $15.80 



So as you can see. I was able to recreate the four looks and rock - em - out in a true Ali fashion. I hope this post has stirred up your creativity pot and has pumped you up to go and start recreating looks of your own. Who says you have to have a lot of money to look good? All you need is a few staple pieces and some creativity and you can have a closet full of options in no time :)

2 comments: