Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend Recap

Good Morning luvs. How are you feeling this great Monday morning? I feel amazing, thankful, and ready to take on another Monday! But before I jump at crossing off the things on my to - do - list I wanted to give you a brief style weekend recap.

HOW TO DRESS DOWN A PAIR OF LEATHER SHORTS
This weekend was pretty jammed packed. Friday, Derrek and I ran some errands around town. Had some lunch at the hibachi grill, then went on an impromptu date at the $2.00 movie theatre to see "Fast 6." That movie was a - maz-ing!!! There was so much action and suspense until the very end. I wore a casual chic look taking a sheer rose colored blouse (with a white cami underneath - not pictured), paired with my cognac leather shorts, and tan cutout gladiators. I chose rose gold accessories to complete the look.

Rose Colored Blouse (Forever 21), Cognac Leather Shorts (Kohl's), Cutout Gladiators (Makemechic.com), Rose Gold Watch (Charming Charlie's), Rose Gold Necklace (Mall Kiosk)

What I love most about these leather shorts (besides the fact they I am leather obsessed and they are comfortable) is the fact that you can style them up or down. You could easily pair these shorts with some pumps and sequined top to get a look for a night on the town, or wear it as I did above to keep it casual and chic.

DENIM & WHITE "HOW TO STYLE A PLAIN MAXI DRESS"
Saturday, I knew I had a jammed pack day. I had a praise team rehearsal early on in the day, I had a dinner celebration for a friend that night (at a Japanese Steak House - Ichiban). So, I knew I wanted to wear something comfortable but also stylish that could transition from day to night seamlessly :) Here's what I came up with!

White Maxi Dress (New York & Co.), Denim Button Up (Target), Layered Statement Necklace (Forever 21), Silver Michael Kors Watch (Macy's), Silver Ring (Forever 21), Louis Vuitton Speedy (Gift)



From Day to Night: Daytime Shoe - White Jeweled Sandals (Charming Charlie's), Nighttime Shoe - Chocolate Gladiators (DSW)

If you're ever in doubt how to uniquely style your maxi dress, grab a structured denim button up (or any kind of button up, it doesn't have to be denim...it could be plaid or a solid color) and tie it in a knot. Then add a cool statement piece (like a necklace) to add some flavor to the simple silhouette. I chose to  add an awesome layered statement necklace to give the look a little more "va-va-voom." During the day, I paired the look with some white jeweled sandals (Charming Charlie's). For the evening look, I wore my chocolate gladiator sandals (DSW). I kept my hair in a simple top knot bun to keep the focus on the outfit, and accessorized it with a blue turban headband.


HOW TO TAME DOWN A BRIGHT COLORED SKIRT
My Sunday, was equally packed but I had a great time.  First, I had to sing at our 9:45AM church service (it was an amazing service by the way)! Following service I attended a brunch in honor of four senior girls (at our church...one was absent) who are in the Girl's Ministry that I'm apart of. We dined on wonderful food and had girl talk...giving the seniors words of encouragement and advice as they transition to the next phase of life (whether it be going to college or attending the military). After the brunch I came home snagged a nap, woke up and ate dinner while watching movies on Netflix (a great way to end the night). As with Saturday's OOTD/OOTN I wanted to ensure this outfit would be appropriate for church, but casual enough to transition to an informal brunch. It worked out perfectly. 

Multi - Colored Paint Stroke Skirt (Forever 21), Coral Solid Tee (Forever 21), Denim Jacket (Forever 21), Off White Sandals (Aldo), Statement Necklace (Charming Charlie's), Michael Kors Watch (Macy's)

If you have a skirt that is very busy (in my case, with an abundance of bright colors), the best way to tone it down is by keeping it simple up top (so your top and bottom aren't competing). I chose to pick one of the many colors in the skirt for my tee. I then topped off the outfit with a denim jacket to pull the look together. I added some off white sandals to give me some added height and fabulosity and added some silver accessories to complete the look.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my weekend looks and I had a ball spending quality time with the hubby, dining with friends, worshiping God, and even handing out some advice to the younger generation about growing up, making good decisions and transitioning into the next phase of life. I pray that I have a great upcoming week, and I hope you do the same! And hopefully you learned how to uniquely style a maxi and how to tone down a busy skirt. Will you try any of these trends? I sure hope so :) Let me know your favorite looks in the comments below!!




-Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment